WHAT IS HAIR TRANSPLANT?
It is very normal to check on various remedies for hair loss treatment but genetic baldness unfortunately cannot be controlled by any means. Over the counter drugs Minodixil could slower it to a certain extent but is very temporary arrangement. After multiple therapies, hair transplant only looks as a feasible option as is the only permanent solution for hair loss.
Hair transplant should not be mistaken as the procedure which can regenerate your lost hair follicles or stop the further progression of hair loss. The hair follicle lost once is the one which is lost forever. The hair transplant procedure is purely intended to replace the existing hair from donor area which is usually back and side of the head or any other body part to the recipient bald area.
BASIC STEPS OF HAIR TRANSPLANT:
It is a minimally invasive surgical procedure performed ideally by an authorized and certified super specialized plastic or cosmetic surgeon under the following steps:
- Administration of local anaesthesia
- Harvesting of grafts from the donor area
- Preparation of the recipient area by slitting
- Implantation of hair follicles at the recipient site
- PRP therapy for better healing and growth of newly transplanted hair follicles
- Post hair transplant care and instructions
Modern hair transplant procedure is performed by 2 primary techniques:
- FUT hair transplant (Follicular unit transplantation or strip technique)
- FUE hair transplant (Follicular unit extraction)
The major difference between these techniques is its varying graft harvesting method. The most crucial step of hair transplant is opting for appropriate graft harvesting techniques. If the technique is appropriately selected and performed by the hair transplant surgeon, it will deliver sure and shot successful results. The choice of technique relies on mainly the extent of baldness, age of the patient, sex of the patient, quantity of hairs on the donor area and number of grafts required to cover the donor area.